Tuesday, September 6, 2016

One year of the project: a look back

So much has happened in the last year that it's hard to believe that this project is only 365 days old.

It was on September 4, 2015 that I started this blog and mailed out my first batch of 27 requests. Some took as little as a week to return to me, others still are out a year later, but overall the project has been a big success. In the ensuing 365 days, I've had 88 successes, 21 returns for an incorrect address, and only 21 went unreturned. And I haven't given up hope on those: I've had successes in other sports that have taken over a year to come back (30 to be exact, with one taking 7 years from baseball player Marty Barrett). I also have made a few trades and purchases as well.

So to celebrate a year of work, I mailed out another 14 requests this morning. Two are going to players who already signed for me but have a ton of cards in the sets (George Fernandez and Kevin Crow). I typically try not to send more than 6 cards per request so with those two I mailed in two batches a year apart. In addition to those, I took a flyer on Victor Nogueira who I haven't seen many successes from, along with Desmond Armstrong, Tino Lettieri, Waad Hirmez (another longshot), Joe Papaleo, A.J. Lachowecki, Gregg Willin, Gary Etherington, Dave Clements, Tom Kain, Mike Fox, and Terry Brown.

Also, I just noticed I failed to mention that I did get one of those early stragglers back recently. Mark Mettrick returned his cards signed back in August after about 10 months out. Like I said, never give up, those old ones can come rolling in at any time.

Who am I still waiting on?  Here's a breakdown, listed in order of when they were mailed out.

SEPTEMBER 5, 2015: Brian Quinn, Steve Zungul, Beto, David Hoggan, Erik Rasmussen

SEPTEMBER 7, 2015: Mark Frederickson, Steve Kinsey

OCTOBER 6, 2015: Dennis Mepham, Scoop Stanisic, Nenad Zigante, Gregg Blasingame, Andy Chapman

MARCH 7, 2016: Paul Wright, Preki, Kai Haaskivi

MARCH 10, 2016: Jim Gabarra, Kevin Hundelt

MARCH 14, 2016: Marty Templin/Herb Silva

MARCH 30, 2016: Pasquale DeLuca

MAY 25, 2016: Greg Ion

MAY 31, 2016: Iain Fraser

No comments:

Post a Comment