Monday, August 13, 2018

Goal: Complete my first set

Sitting at nearly 80% completion on the entire project, my goal of finishing all the sets from 87/88-91/92 is certainly accessible.  However, sometimes it's best to break that big goal down into smaller goals.

For me, the first one will be to complete my favorite set of them all, the 1989-90 set.

Right now, of the 114 sigs I need to complete it, I'm only 13 away.  Let's give a rundown on what I still need...

#6 Waad Hirmez - I haven't heard of Hirmez signing via mail and had no success via his club in 2016, so I suppose I'll have to hope for a San Diego collector to catch him at an alumni game out there. I may also try via a home address.

#26 Joe Papaleo - In all the Dallas Sidekicks stuff I've acquired, I've never gotten Joe on any cards-- just a photo in an eBay lot I picked up.  I tried him by mail at the same time as Hirmez, also via a club, also with no response. Home address next?

#33 Dominic Mobilio - Mobilio tragically died in 2004, suffering a heart attack while driving back from a friend's house after an amateur game. I have seen a few of his autographs out there, but they are tough to come by.

#34 Scott Manning - I recently picked up the Scoop Stanisic wrong photo error signed by Scoop. I just need to get Manning on it as well. He signed for me in 2016 with a six-week turnaround. I can try him again soon.

#47 Pedro Debrito - Debrito was killed in a car accident in 2004, hitting a tree in a median on his way to work. Like Papaleo, I have a photo signed by Debrito, but no cards, and I haven't seen any signed by him either.

#52 Nenad Zigante - I tried Zigante with no luck via his club in the Carolinas in 2015. It may be time to re-try via home. I also need him in the 1988-89 set.

#66 Greg Ion - Having finally tracked down Chico Moreira a while back, finding Ion has been my tough one. Three attempts in 2016 resulted in two RTS via home addresses in Washington and Oregon and one non-return via a club in Washington. I suppose I'll keep searching...

#67 Chris Hundelt - I have the error signed on the back by Kevin. I just need it signed on the front by Chris, along with the corrected version. I haven't tried mailing Chris just yet.

#71 Bill Crook - I haven't tried him yet but probably should since I need him in here and the following two years' sets.

#76 David Hoggan - No luck on Hoggan in 2015, and I haven't found a home address for him yet. I'm hoping I can track something down since I also need him on four other cards.

#100 Dennis Mepham - Another tough one, I'm 0/2 on two different Lakewood, OH addresses. I might see if I can find a business address since I seem to recall hearing he's involved in Cleveland real estate.

#108 Bobo Lucic - I have a potential address on him in Slovenia. He was born in Mostar, currently part of Bosnia and Herzegovina near its border with Croatia. So I'm not sure if it's good or not, but I should give it a try once I get some Slovenian stamps.

I also came up with a few other international mailing projects-- I mentioned before I need to send to Roberto Baggio, and possibly a few other Italian players that I have loads of cards of. I also found two boxes of Australian Football League cards at my dad's place, so I might see if I can try some of those guys as well if I can find some addresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment