Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Mail Call: October 1-3

I got a RTS from John O'Hara, but found a new address to mail out to, so we'll hope for the best from there. I'm also just waiting on my foreign postage to get here and then I'll have a decent overseas batch to mail out (14 MISL, one outdoor, and two hockey).

In the meantime, I got a few more back.

OCTOBER 1
Tom Kain, c/o work, 3/3, 1 month. Kain works with Nike, pretty high up in the company. He signed all three cards I had of him. I was pretty happy to see this one come back, as if memory serves me correctly a previous attempt to him on SCN went unreturned.

Branko Segota, c/o home, 5/5, 2 weeks. This is the second time I got Segota and it finishes off all the cards I need him on (and then some). He typically signs in pen, just as a heads up.

Duncan MacEwan, c/o home, 2/1, 1 week. Second time is the charm! He signed the David Doyle card that features his photo in blue pen, and also signed my letter.

OCTOBER 3
Theo Kulsdom, c/o home, 4/3, 2 weeks from the Netherlands. I had mentioned before how Kulsdom got returned to me with a note from the current occupant of his former address saying he was no longer there, but to try finding him on Facebook. So I did and he said to send them on over. He signed them and wrote a short note as well.

John Bain and Jeff Cacciatore, each c/o work, each 2/1, each 1 week. A pair of former St. Louis teammates signed their 1987-88 cards and wrote a short note back.

So, as I said I'm just waiting on my foreign postage to arrive. As soon as it does, here's who will be getting requests...

Craig Allen, UK
Dominic Feltham, UK
Paul Peschisolido, UK
Steve Pittman, UK
Terry Rowe, UK
Gary Stanley, UK
Mike Dowler, UK
Godfrey Ingram, UK
Ron Fearon, UK
David Byrne, South Africa
Dalibor Cvitanovic, Bosnia-Herzegovina
Damir Haramina, Croatia
Nenad Markicevic, Serbia
Bobo Lucic, Slovenia

I'm also sending to Roberto Baggio in the world of outdoor soccer (to Italy), as well as hockey players Pavel Vorobiev (to the UK) and Borje Salming (to Sweden).

Speaking of Salming in a roundabout way, I got my FA Sápmi jersey in the mail the other day as well. For those who don't know, FA Sápmi is a CONIFA team composed of Sámi players from the areas of Northern Norway, Sweden, Finland, and the Kola Peninsula of Russia. I believe I'm part Sámi as my family originally came from this area. I still have relatives in Tervola, Kemi, Rovaniemi, Kemijärvi, and Sodankylä in Finland, as well as Karasjok, Norway. I haven't been able to prove it 100% yet, as documentation of this is hard to come by; but I have been told that it is accepted that anyone north of a line from Oulu to Pudasjärvi has a lot of Sámi ancestry. Other past ancestors of mine came through Jukkasjarvi, Sweden as well. So I wanted to get something to represent that part of my background and after talking to the team's president, I was able to buy a jersey. It even has #21, which I typically have worn for floorball (along with #52 and #11). Salming is part Sámi, and it was via reading about him that I became more interested in finding out more about my background in that area. In fact, if the research on geni.com is all correct, he and I are 11th cousins once removed through his dad's side of his family, who I believe are 100% Sámi.

I plan to write a foreign request tutorial very soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment