Thursday, July 25, 2019

Finishing with a sure thing

An important lesson I've heard on multi-player cards: Get the hard ones done first.

Of course, flying blind on a project like this as I have been, it's hard to know who the hard ones are going to be. You may send to a guy early and find out he's easy to get and then discover someone else is tough. Or sometimes an easy signer might turn tough out of nowhere. There's nothing worse than getting a few and then never seeing it again: a 1991-92 Kansas City All-Stars card that disappeared on its way to Iain Fraser with Gorsek, Goossens, and Roentved sigs is my biggest tale of woe. I reacquired it with Roentved's sig, and it's currently off to Goossens to try it all again; then Valentine, then Gorsek, and then maybe someone, somewhere, can get me Fraser in-person.

And so with the 1990-91 Cleveland Crunch All-Stars card, how was I to know Kai Haaskivi would be the toughest one to get?  Not that it mattered: I've gotten him a couple times in-person and he was the third one I got on the card out of four. And I actually did it right: I mailed the completely unsigned card off to him first... and never got it back.

I reacquired the card already signed by Michael King via a trade (I thought it was part of my mailed success from him, but as my entry on it proves, it was not; I likely got it from either Ray in Baltimore or Brian in Kansas City).  Mike Sweeney, a solid TTM signer, signed it in-person at the NASL50 event in Dallas back in October. Kai Haaskivi signed it as well there (and signed a few singularly at the MISL40 event in Las Vegas too; good in-person, he's just not accessible TTM as my two mailings including one written in Finnish have shown).

I did it right on the last one at least. I knew Bernie James was a good signer since he had signed his individual cards for me in 18 days back in 2015, not long after King.  This time, it took him only 13 days to return it, finishing off the quad.


This is the first team where I've completed both their 1990-91 AND 1991-92 All-Stars multiplayer cards.  The Sidekicks didn't have one for 1991-92 for unknown reasons (Tatu, Wes McLeod, and Kevin Smith were their All-Stars, and I would have completed this card easily), and Baltimore didn't get one in 1990-91 (Savage, Manning, and Valentine would be gettable now; sadly, Dominic Mobilio would not).

I'm glad this one came back and I hope it starts the ball rolling on more. Considering the number I've gotten back in under two weeks (75 out of 180), I was starting to get a little concerned since I hadn't received anything from my most recent batch yet. Clearly patience is not always my strong suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment