Monday, September 14, 2015

Mail Call #2: Toth, Fernandez, and Clavijo

I'm more surprised every day with how great these former indoor soccer players are about signing. I always had hockey players ranked as the best signers, but the soccer players have passed them so far in this project. It's been only nine days and I'm up to 29 signed cards and three notes sent back from the players.

Today brought in Fernando Clavijo, George Fernandez, and Zoltan Toth. Clavijo is close by-- he now works in the front office of FC Dallas. He signed the six cards I sent, including a card showing both him and Chico Borja, and a card showing him with Slobo Ilijevski, Godfrey Ingram, and Gary Heale. Hopefully it will be headed to Godfrey Ingram next, and then eventually Gary Heale.

New York Arrows, San Diego Sockers, Los Angeles Lazers,
St. Louis Storm, and a 2014 Indoor Soccer Hall of Fame Inductee
George Fernandez was one of my favorites as a long-time player and coach for the Cleveland Force and later the Cleveland Crunch. He signed six as well as writing a short note back.

The note reads: "Hi Drew,
Just wanted to say thanks for the
memories. They were the good ole
days. Hope you're doing well. God Bless!
George #6"
Last was Zoltan Toth who went completely above and beyond-- he personalized each card To Drew, and added Good Luck! with his signature. On top of that, he even wrote a full letter back. It is obvious that English is not his first language, but I understand what he was saying and the addition of a letter back to me is highly appreciated.

"Zollie the Goalie" mentioned his son
is the current goalie for San Diego,
plays for the US Beach Soccer Team,
and that he sees Steve Zungul quite
often.
I'm already getting my next batch ready to send out. Getting great responses makes me want the end of the month to hurry up and get here so I can buy more stamps and mail more requests out!

No comments:

Post a Comment