Sunday, September 20, 2015

Mail Calls #5 and #6: Vaccaro, Collins, Collins, Borja, Moreira, and a purchase

I got a little busy over the weekend. On Friday I had to pull cards for a baseball outing, Saturday was spent not crushing it at the Rangers-Mariners, and Sunday was spent with the Rangers and at Browns Backers. So, life and other sports got in the way of the project. I'll try never to let it happen again.

Bazinga.
Anyways, I had three successes and two failures as the project hit its two-week mark.  Friday brought in Cris Vacarro and Chico Borja as well as the dreaded yellow sticker from Ben Collins. On the positive side, I did find the team Collins is working with, so I re-enveloped, re-stamped, and re-sent to him there on Saturday.  Vacarro and Borja were both excellent signers. Borja signed all five cards I sent, and Vacarro did as well, even personalizing them all. I have a couple more to send Borja's way in the future, and am still looking for the alternate black-letter version of Vacarro's 87-88 card.

In addition to personalizing, Vacarro added a "Best Wishes"
type message to each, including a nice "Thanks for being a
true fan" on the Wings All-Stars card
Saturday brought in a hockey success, two baseball successes, and another Collins-- Michael this time, who signed all four cards from the sets. I also received a bunch of items I purchased from Ray K. in Maryland.  He had two signed Billy Ronson cards, two signed Kai Haaskivi photos, and the vast majority of the unsigned cards I need, all for $13 including postage.

I was a bit worried about Collins since I had
not seen any successes from him posted on
the various boards I researched. Not to fear:
it came back in 12 days.
I may donate one of the Haaskivi photos to the Finnish Heritage Museum in Fiarport Harbor, Ohio. My dad has worked with them quite a bit and since Haaskivi played most of his career nearby in Cleveland (and even made an appearance once at the Finnish church in Fairport when I was about two years old), it may be something they would like for their collections. I donated a card of Kai to them about ten years ago, but I think this would be better.

I also had a second failure as Chico Moreira came back undeliverable to an address in Broadview Heights, OH. From what I can find, he may still live there (it's near Cleveland) but I can't find the exact address if he is there. I have a few potential addresses, but nothing concrete just yet.  If anyone can help me out on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment