Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Mail Call #3: Crow and Segota

Three mailing days have hit in a row with success on the project, this time bringing in a pair of former teammates from the San Diego Sockers, inaugural members of the Indoor Soccer Hall of Fame, and 1984 Olympians for Canada and the US, respectively.

Branko Segota, a Croatian-Canadian who now lives in Cleveland signed seven cards for me, two of which will be sent out to others soon. The Sockers All-Star card also features Zoran Karic, George Fernandez, Brian Quinn, and Kevin Crow. I likely will wait and send it off to Karic once I get back my card of him with Jan Goossens. If it comes back, at least: it's currently in the Netherlands.

Negative points for using pen instead of Sharpie,
but I can't complain; 7 is the most I've had in a single
mailed success in any sport!
Speaking of Kevin Crow, he's the other one who responded today, signing six cards of himself. That particular Sockers All-Star card will be held until I send to Paul Wright-- and I'll be holding onto it until Kevin Smith sends back the MSL Action card featuring the two of them, and Ralph Black sends back the card featuring the Sockers celebrating their 1990 Championship.

The Ray Bourque of the MISL, Crow won
five Defender of the Year Awards in his career.
This is going to be an adventure with all these multi-player cards. Some guys signed them small enough to easily fit more (see Crow today and Fernandez yesterday). Others signed pretty large (Segota today and Clavijo yesterday). At the very least, I'll know who signed them first that way.

I also bought a couple signed cards and a couple signed photos today off a fellow collector-- Ray in Maryland. He had two Kai Haaskivi photos and two Billy Ronson cards for my sets. For Haaskivi, he played a number of years in my hometown of Cleveland and is a fellow Finn. I may donate one of the photos to the Finnish Heritage Museum in Fairport Harbor, OH. I did some video work for them a while back and gave them a card or two of Kai.

Ray also is filling several of the gaps in my unsigned want list, so I'll edit that down pretty soon too. I'll be down to only 6 needed in 1987-88, 1 in 1989-90, and 1 in 1991-92 once they arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment